Although apples are usually reserved for Fall and Winter holidays, we think this grilled apple cheese plate is perfect for your Spring and Easter get-togethers! If you aren’t a fan of goat cheese, a brie or Stilton would also be great!
Apples Three Ways
- Difficulty Level Simple
- 1 lb of humbolt fog cheese or other bloomy rind goat cheese
- 1 granny smith apple
- 1 sweet red apple, gala, or macintosh
- 1 fennel bulb, fronds reserved, white part sliced thin
- Cider Reduction
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- pinch of salt
- a couple of turns of fresh ground black pepper
- Prepare your Hasty-Bake for grilling.
- For the reduction: Place ingredients in a sauce pot and simmer until syrupy and reduced by half. Strain, cool, and reserve. Can easily be made the day before and will keep for two weeks.
- Slice the green apple into 1/8in discs and toss with a little white sugar.
- Cut the red apple into any shapes you would like. It's more fun that way!
- Grill the green apple rings until slightly soft and pretty.
- Arrange apples, cheese, and sliced fennel on a large board or plate.
- Drizzle with reduction, top with the fennel fronds and a couple of cranks from the pepper mill. Viola!
Trevor Tack is the executive chef of the McNellie’s Group of restaurants, which includes McNellie's, The Tavern, Yokozuna, and Dilly Deli.Read more about this chef..