Cast-Iron Crab Cakes with Chipotle Aioli
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Simple
- 1 lb lump crab meat (shells removed)
- 1/2 cup crushed butter crackers (or bread crumbs) -used ritz
- 2 finely chopped green onion (green and white parts)
- 1/3 cup whole kernel corn (juice drained)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp Worcestershire
- 1/2 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 large lemon juiced
- 1/2 tsp dried parsely
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4-5 dashes of favorite hot sauce - used "slap ya mama" cajun
- dash of cayenne pepper
- For Chipotle Aioli:
- 1 cup mayo
- 1.5 tsps chipotle powder
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tsps fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbls fresh chopped chives
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Flour for dusting crab cakes before grilling
- 2 tbls coconut oil (or peanut oil)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients (except the aioli ingredients and coconut oil) until all seasonings, veggies, and wet ingredients are consistent throughout the mixture.
- Place mixture back in refrigerator for about an hour
- 15 minutes before you pull the crab cake batter out of the fridge, prepare your Hasty-Bake for grilling!
- Raise your firebox to sear level and place your cast-iron skillet on the cooking grills directly over the flame, close the lid to allow the skillet to become hot.
- While your skillet is heating, prepare crab cake patties by taking 1/3 cup of the mixture and pressing it into a small patty approximately 3 inches in diameter and 1/2-3/4" thick.
- Dust tops of each patty with flour
- Add 3 tbls of coconut oil to hot skillet, place crab cakes flour side down and cook about 4-5 mins or until golden brown, before flipping, sprinkle the other side of crab cake with flour, add, at a tablespoon at a time, more coconut oil to the skillet and flip cakes. Cook about 4-5 mins or until golden brown
- Remove patties from skillet, serve hot with a dollop of chipotle aioli.
- For chipotle aioli, this can be made ahead of time, combine ingredients listed above and refrigerate overnight.
- Servings : 6
- Ready in : 70 Minutes
- Course : Appetizers, Brunch, Entrees
- Recipe Type : Grilling
- Ingredient : Bell Pepper, bread crumbs, Butcher's Twine, Cayenne Pepper, Corn, Egg, flour, Garlic Powder, Green onion, Lemon, Lump Crab Meat, Mayo, mustard, Parsley, pepper sauce, Sea Salt, Soy Sauce, Worcestershire sauce
Read more about this chef..