Say goodbye to the bland turkeys of yesteryears and say hello to flavor! Pack this year’s turkey with flavor by smoking it on your Hasty-Bake! We’ve got a simple recipe that is easy to follow and will WOW your holiday guests.
Hasty-Bake Smoked Turkey
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Simple
- 1 10 to 12 pound turkey (if you need more turkey, it is best to smoke two small birds)
- Hasty-Bake Gourmet Greek seasoning or poultry rub
- 4 quartered onions
- 6 to 8 cloves peeled garlic
- Place the garlic and onions inside the turkey and rub the outside of the turkey with seasoning. Put the turkey in a large aluminum baking pan or Hasty-Bake baster pan. Fill the pan with ¼” to ½” of the basting liquid of your choice. Make sure the heat deflector is in place over the coals and bring your Hasty-Bake to about 200°F. Cover the breast of the turkey with a flourcloth or cheesecloth soaked in olive oil, butter or bacon grease. Baste the bird about every 30 minutes-it is important that you don’t let the turkey dry out.
- Smoke the turkey approximately ½ hour per pound, plus one additional half hour. You will need to refresh the supply of hardwood charcoal about every 1 to 1 ½ hours. Small amounts of fruit wood, such as apple or cherry, may be added to the fire to give your turkey a stronger smoke flavor. To test for doneness, use an Insta-Read thermometer. The thickest part of the breast should be 165°F.
- Note: To have a picture-perfect bird, you should remove the flourcloth or cheesecloth to brown the breast about 30 minutes prior to removing the turkey from the grill.
Read more about this chef..