The crowd-pleasing crispy roasted porchetta recipe gives pork a little flare with amazing flavors on a Hasty-Bake Charcoal Grill. Porchetta is a famous Italian recipe for boneless and butterflied pork belly with crispy skin and tender meat with rosemary, garlic, fennel, and a zest of lemon and orange.
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 4 Hours
Items Needed: Butchers Twine
- 1 Whole Pork Shoulder (Bone Removed by Butcher)
- 1/2 Cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Garlic
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Rosemary
- 1//4 Cup Chopped Fresh Sage
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Ground Fennel Seed
- 2 Tablesppons Fresh Zest of Lemon and Orange
- 2 Tablespoons of Kosher Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- 3-4 Fist Size Chunks of Peach Wood
- Meat Church Gourmet Seasoning- Garlic and Herb
- Fire up the Hasty-Bake Charcoal Grill with Hardwood Lump Charcoal (half firebox) and a few chunks of peach wood only in one side of the firebox near the fire door. Once the grill is lit, raise the firebox to “Bake” and use heat deflector.
- The desired temperature is 350 Degrees F.
- Using a sharp knife, slice open the pork shoulder, following the fat cap, until you are able to roll it flat.
- Make the paste with olive oil, garlic, fresh herbs, fennel seeds and zest.
- Take half of the salt and sprinkle the exposed inside of the butt. Do the same with half of the cracked pepper.
- Pour the herb paste onto the butt. Spread evenly onto the meat.
- Roll the meat up back onto itself creating a large pinwheel of pork and herbs.
- Secure the roast together using butchers twine.
- A light coating of olive oil and season with Meat Church Garlic Herb.
- Place the pork shoulder onto the Hasty-Bake Charcoal Grill and cook for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, or until the inside of the pork butt is 140 Degrees F.
- Let pork shoulder rest and cool.
- Ready, set, go and slice!