A quick and easy Hasty-Bake chili recipe developed by Nick Parsons and Clint Pollard, Ambassadors of Smoke. The chili recipe feeds 3-4 people and perfect for wintery nights. For added flavor, you can elevate the flavors of the chili recipe by adding vegetables or peppers.
- 2 lbs ground brisket or other beef – 80/20 blend (bonus for fresh, coarse-ground beef)
- 1 packet Old Hammet Chili Seasoning
- 1-2 cans petite diced tomatoes (or fresh diced)
- 2 ounces whole dried guajillo or pasilla chiles, or a combination (6 to 8 chiles)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
- Sour cream
- Lime wedges
Instructions (Chili Paste Preparation):
- With scissors, remove the top of the guajillo chiles and shake most of the seeds out. Place the chiles directly on grill grate over medium-low heat and gently toast until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Don’t let them burn or they’ll turn bitter. Place the chiles in a bowl and cover them with very hot water, soaking for 45 minutes. Stir once or twice.
- Drain the chiles; split them and remove the rest of seeds and strings. Place the chiles in a blender and add the cumin, black pepper, 1 tablespoon salt and 1/4 cup water. Purée the mixture thoroughly, adding more water as needed (scraping down the sides of the blender), until a smooth, slightly fluid paste forms (you want to eliminate all but the tiniest bits of skin.) You want the consistency of a thick gravy. Set the chile paste aside.
- In a Hasty-Bake basting pan or Dutch/French oven pot, brown the ground beef until 80% cooked. Pour in the diced tomatoes. If you like a thinner chili, add two cans. If you want a thicker chili, add one can. Stir tomatoes in and then add one packet of Old Hammet seasoning. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Bring the Hasty-Bake firebox up to the “bake” position and set grill to hold 350 degrees to achieve a slow simmer. Add some of your favorite wood chunks inside your Hasty-Bake Charcoal Grill. Cherry and pecan work very well.
- Pour in the chili paste and mix thoroughly. Let chili simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Recommend serving in bowl with a dollop of sour cream and a lime wedge. Enjoy!